Neil Gill

Neil Gill, Civil Celebrant
Th.Dip., Certificate
Marriage Celebrancy




Legal Requirements for Marriages

For a marriage in Australia to be legally binding, the Marriage Act 1961 has certain legal obligations to be met prior to a wedding being solemnised by a Civil Marriage Celebrant. These obligations are:

The completion and lodgement with your celebrant of a Notice of Intended Marriage (NOIM) form, no earlier than eighteen months before but no later than one calendar month and 1 day prior to your wedding ceremony. Click here to download Notice of Intended Marriage form.

If you were born in Australia you will need to provide to the Celebrant your original (or an extract) of your birth certificate. If you were born outside of Australia, you will need to provide your Passport or your original (or an extract) of your birth certificate.  

Your names must be written on the NOIM as they appear on your birth certificate or previous marriage certificate or change of name form, and they should not be changed in any way.

If either of you is divorced or a widow/widower, evidence of your divorce or the death of your former spouse must be produced when completing the NOIM which is to be signed in the presence of your celebrant.


Prior to your wedding ceremony each of the parties to the marriage must sign a declaration declaring that there is no legal impediment to your marriage. Please note that it is an offence punishable by law to make a false declaration.

Under 18 Years of Age

If either of you are under 18 years of age you cannot marry without an order from the court under Section 12 of the Marriage Act, and the relevant consents from parents or guardians. Legal assistance will be needed to obtain a court order.


You must have two witnesses over the age of 18 years to sign the marriage certificates at your ceremony.

Legal Documentation

WeddingAt the completion of your wedding ceremony you will be given an official Certificate of Marriage for you to keep that is evidence of your legal status.  

Your NOIM, the official certificate for registration purposes and declaration will be forwarded to the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages.

A registered Marriage Certificate can be purchased from the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages.  The cost varies according to the certificate you choose.  I am happy to order this for you when I submit your paperwork.

No legal documents are required to be shown to the celebrant by the parties for all other ceremonies.Gay Friendly